Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 5: The gift of reverence

Yesterday, the focus was the gift of reverence. The author of The 21 day consciousness cleanse talks about one's body in a way that I have never thought of. She suggests that we are not our bodies, however our bodies are a vessel that allows us to participate in life. Meaning our minds and spirits allowing us to think, behave, feel, and experience, but without our bodies we can't do any of that, She does on to talk about how we do not value our temples (a.k.a. bodies) and mistreat them and ignored them. For example, I have neglected my bodies need for sleep when pulling "all-nighters" or when choosing not to work out because I don't have time. I have also mistreated my temple when I am unhappy with it or I am not please with it's size. So, today's task was to write an apology letter to my body. It was pretty powerful and I'll admit I even "teared up" (just a little). I have to make it a point to listen to my body and treat it with the reverence of a temple. I have to many things I am looking forward to and if my vessel is not well, then my experiences will suffer. What do you need to apologize to your body for?

2 comments: