Sunday, February 14, 2010

So Really... What's Valentine's Day all about?



Don't get me wrong I enjoy any excuse to tell my loved ones how special they are to me, but I must admit even I think it's overly commercialized. I decided to post a little bit about where it started. According to stvalentineday.org, one of the more popular legends is about Prince Valentine who lived in Rome around 270 AD. Apparently, Emperor Claudius II had started some unpopular wars and found that many men chose not to join the army because of their strong attachment with their wives so he banned all marriages and engagements in Rome. In spite of the law, Valentine, secretly arranged marriages until he was discovered, jailed, and finally executed on February 14, about 270 AD.
Aww. You have to admit that, his actions were pretty sweet. I am such a romantic so this story actually makes me like Valentine's day more.
(Photo from zazzle.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment