Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 20: The Light of Compassion

(Photo from http://marcomblog.web-log.nl)

Yesterday's chapter focused on compassion. Now this was something I believed I did fairly well. I mean, I'm a counselor. Of course I'm compassionate. I did the exercises and believed that lesson was neatly packaged and wrapped up in a bow. Until later that evening when I realized that I struggled with this more than I thought. I said something mean to someone I love deeply and instead of apologizing and "keeping it real with myself." I tried to justify why this comment was made and how my mood could lead me to this comment. How self-serving is that? It's hurtful to think about how mean I was to someone I love so much. Compassion doesn't want to know how the world should serve me or help me, but how I can serve and relate to the world. Compassion also will not allow me to beat myself up, but will create awareness so that I can stop taking everything so personally and be truly compassionate to others in my life. These readings were eye-opening for me. This is something I need to change and I am determined to turn on my light of compassion because it will be freeing and it will make me a better individual in relationships.

Wow, I feel as if this is the most vulnerable post I have ever made. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment