Wednesday, February 10, 2010

REVIEW: Barack and Michelle: Portrait of an American Marriage

Amazon Rating: 3 ½ out of 5 stars
Barnes & Noble Rating: 3 0ut of 5 stars.

Things I liked: The book shared some very interesting histories about Barack and Michelle and their courtship. It also talked a lot about the struggles in their marriage before Barack ran for president and the different emotions they experiences. At times Michelle was "fuming" with Barack. There definitely were many things I could relate to and the underlying theme that success comes with perseverance and hard work rang loud and clear. I also enjoyed that it did not paint a picture of marriage being easy and the author emphasized the hard work. It went against the typical portrait we see about marriage and said "it ain't easy." I think I finished this book with a lot of interesting facts and some lessons about hard work, success, and marriage.

Things I disliked: I almost felt like it was more about their history, then about their marriage. I learned a lot of details and the author talked a lot about what went wrong. However, it never really explained how their marriage got "back on track." It talked a lot about the different campaigns and races and how the changes in their living situation (all living in the White House) helped them, but never talked about how they reconciled some of the core issues that were highlighted in the book.

Overall, I thought it was good, but felt like some core things were not addressed or given closure.

My final rating: 3 ½ out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment