Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 13: The Power of the Present

(Photo from Psychologytoday.com)

Today's cleanse was focusing on the present. I'm sure we've all heard the quote... "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present." Well, I've heard and read it a million times and I STILL struggle with this. I plan EVERYTHING. I sometimes spend more planning than doing. Don't get me wrong, this chapter is not saying stop planning, but it is saying start living. Living in the present allows us to enjoy the moment and maximize our potential. For instance, while reading I found myself worrying about the time I would get home after work and then campus and how much I could get done before I need to go to sleep. But really, that does nothing for me, right now, in the present except it distracts me from what I should be doing and robs me of my peace. Today I have set my phone to buzz every hour to remind me to focus on the present. I'll keep you posted (ha, that was a pun).

No comments:

Post a Comment