Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dr. Frank W. Hale, Jr.



I couldn't write about the PhD process without recognizing my mentor, Dr. Frank W. Hale, Jr. who passed away on July 27, 2011. He was a college president, a leader and pioneer for diversity in higher education, a civil rights activist, and so much more. I originally new Dr. Hale because he went to my church, Ephesus Seventh-Day Adventist Church. He would always talk to me about education and encourage me. I remember when I realized that a building, the Hale Black Cultural Center, was named after him. I was trying to explain to one of my friends who also went to my church, "No. He's not just special to us, he's famous to the whole world." I am so grateful that I was able to spend so much time with him and I was finally able to grasp how great of a man he was.

I would meet with him several times during the school year and I loved it because we always ate at the best places. However, what sticks out to me is the conversations we would have. I had never had such intellectual discussions with anyone by the time I was in college. He would ask me about politics, issues in higher education, and anything else he could think of to challenge my mind. He was always gently nudging me towards greatness and he saw things in me that I didn't see in myself. I remember calling him the day before I defended my dissertation. I was nervous and wanted to talk to him about it. Instead Doc was asking me about what academic positions I was applying for. His subtle way of telling me, "You have this defense "in the bag." What are your next steps?" I am currently standing on the shoulders for Dr. Hale and I plan to work hard on my scholarship and service so that someone can stand on my shoulders. Lord, thank you for allowing me to spend so much time with your child. Now, please help me to be a blessing and an beacon of light to your love.

To read about lessons I learned from Dr. Hale, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment